Thursday, July 26, 2007

I am leaving on my B-school pilgrimage the day after tomorrow. I am very excited about the various schools I am going to visit. Nervous at the same time. I should not shoot off my mouth and say something stupid to an ad-com member. Have made a mental map -

Shoes shined . Check!
Clothes pressed . Check!
Firm Handshake.
Colgate Smile.
Look in the eye.
Sound Excited.
Look Excited.
Ask intelligent questions.
Meet max. # of people.
Get Business cards.

Now I almost feel like I am attending an interview. But then I have hardly any reason to take chances. I am also feeling a bit nervous. Whether to rent a car? Take a train? etc. Whether to visit Harvard or MIT first? etc.etc.

BTW, the more I read about London and Stern, the more I am getting excited about them. Stern's location near my favorite street in the world (Wall Street) is its main advantage. Now come on, I have always been inspired by people and places around me. Who wouldn't see a Armani-clad young, powerful, wealthy and successful investment banker and want to step into his shoes? If that is not enough motivation to do well in studies and work hard for that plum job, then what is? I am also having doubts about ISB. I still have not decided whether to apply or not. I mean, if I apply I will have to do it in the first round. And there is not much time left for the same. Also, I am not sure if ISB can help me in my McKinsey/Bain/BCG or IB dreams. (I feel I will have to help myself a LOT if I am at ISB to get into these :)). But the good part about ISB is that it is closer home and a lot cheaper. If my parents need me, I will be there for them if I am at ISB. And this is what is keeping me up all night. What is more important? My duties or my dreams?

On the application front, I have been hardly moving. I am postponing my personal goal of beginning to write essays to another week later. I also have a move coming up. My current apartment is getting expensive and what with all the app expenses, I am planning to move to a cheaper pad. I also have an interview with Deloitte coming up and if I get the job and decide to take it up, I will have to move to another city. Now with so many things up in the air, I am hardly getting anything done. But then that is what I guess takes time management. I have however decided which essays I will tackle first. It has to be London.


It is good to have a wife. My wife took out the directions to all the schools I am going to visit and planned everything out to the minute details. She created a neat little word document, printed out two copies and handed it over to me. I am ever so grateful!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey..best of luck..once you start with your essays these tips might help:
ISB - http://vibranture.com/essay/tips/isb-mba-essay-writing-tips.htm
LBS - http://vibranture.com/essay/tips/lbs-london-mba-essay-writing-tips.htm
Stern - http://vibranture.com/essay/tips/stern-nyu-mba-essay-writing-tips.htm

Unknown said...

ISB Tips