Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Saga a few moons ago

The Paw applied to several schools in last year. But the omens were not right ( nor was the preparation!). After several heart wrenching rejections, misses by a hair's breadth etc. last year, I have finally realized the effort and planning required to successfully get in through a good B School. Here is what my stats for the last year looked like

Round 1
---------
IIM A - Denied After interview
Wharton - Denied Without interview
Kellogg - Denied

Round 2
-------------
ISB - Denied after interview.
Chicago GSB - Waitlisted and then denied.

A look at the above stats shows how naive I have been about it all. And so much wiser I am now. Plans for this year are afoot. A post-mortem of last year reveals
1. No proper planning.
2. Applied to top choices in R1 (without experience).
3. No back up plan.
4. Did not get essays reviewed.
5. Did not visit schools (The first question my GSB interviewer asked me was whether I have visited the school).
6. Started too late.

As for the interview, the things I have learnt is this -
1. If you are applying to Indian Schools and Say your goal is consulting, then better prepare for case type interviews. Else change the pitch. I got killed in my IIM A and ISB interviews cos they gave me case questions to solve unexpectedly.
2. Be prepared for the IIM A vs. ISB questions.


The US B school experiences were pleasant. (Though I think I went a wee little bit overboard animating to show my excitement with the Kellogg interviewer :)).
2. My US B School interview experiences have been very pleasant. My Chicago interviewer was THE BEST!!! She was ultra sweet and very helpful!!!



No comments: