Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random thoughts ........

I am still looking to be staffed on a serious project in my new job. Now, this situation gives me a lot of time to think and plan. But I am not taking up the opportunity. Instead, most of the time is spent surfing arbitrary stuff and doing nothing. In fact, even when I was in the thick of things, I would always find time to pay my bills on time. With too much time on my hands now, I have a stack of bills to be paid on my table which I look at and say everyday," Maybe tomorrow. Too bored to pay them tonight~". Hah...I guess that is how it goes.

Coming back to B School, I am glad I got into Fuqua. I always imagined that getting into a good B School would change my world. I thought I would be happier, prouder, over-confident, thump my chest a 100 times, would go around telling the world etc. I surprised myself when I took the news of getting into Fuqua pretty equanimously. In fact, I took all my dings this time very easily as well. I guess that is what age does to you :) - Makes you accept difficult and good decisions easily.

On another random track, I have always wanted to write about the path I followed during the MBA application process, especially with the essay writing process - Everybody seems to be writing about that these days. However, I only wanted to give advice that I know works. So I wanted to wait for the results to be out - before giving out school specific appoaches. Now given the dings/WLs I have had, I guess I am atleast qualified to write about what not to do :). I will however write about the "frameworks" I used for essays and share the "reusable templates" I created which I believe would help applicants better than general lectures about finding inner goals/hidden meaning/attaining salvation/becoming the buddha etc. All that is great, but really difficult without some sort of a system to guide you along. I mean, do I really have to believe everyone who made it to the top schools are all incredibly self-aware and have everyday planned out to the last minute for the next 5-10 years. During my visits to numerous schools, I asked students what they wanted to do. Several guys at the top schools said they had no idea. So I pretty much sat down and inspected several good essays, talked to several students and created what I thought would be a good framework to force me to think in terms of what the schools are looking for. It still was a lot of thinking. But definitely easier than meditating on my inner self to find my true calling. So stay tuned for my next post.

No comments: