Friday, August 10, 2007

Ah Ha(rvard)!! Good place to lunch!

After the slightly dampening experience at MIT, I was worried about Harvard. If MIT guys are like this, HBS can be more uptight. right? WRONG as I soon found out.

I took the redline(?) from MIT to Harvard. Just a short hop away. Arrived at Harvard Square. It was teeming with activity. Tourist activity. It looked like a fave tourist destination. I hopped into a souvenir shop and bought myself a couple of HARVARD T-shirts. I imagined it might be my last chance to buy them. I also promised myself I will not wear them out. Just at night. Maybe it will help me work towards my essays better.; )).

I then asked for directions and began the walk towards the B school. On the left over the bridge. The heat was killing. The old red brick buildings at Harvard scared me. I mean this place has been hiding so many intellectuals and that types so much so that "Harvard types" is a phrase in common language. Maybe I will see a professor with long unkempt beard and hair flying out of a building on a cycle with wings, screaming "Eureka!". Maybe I will witness history in the making. Unfortunately nothing of that sort happened and I got lost trying to make out where to go. Now, in Harvard, the admissions office is located in Dillon house which is easy to miss as all the buildings look alike. However, I reached in time for the session. HBS, unlike what I had imagined, really worked hard on selling the school. The ad-com gave a good presentation on what HBS stands for, what it looks for and the merits of HBS. She shared a piece of info not available publicly (HBS is the only B school which has got its own exclusive campus!Now that is public!). After the session, where I did meet some nice and some Alpha-type fellow applicants, I asked the receptionist where the students usually hang around.

Spangler. Unfortunately no second year students. But then the first years had just joined. Like in Wharton, this was their first day at school and most looked lost or extremely busy. Nevertheless, I could get some time from two and they really talked at length about their admission experience and about their experience with HBS. They all talked about how they thought the Case method was the best fit for them as they had experienced it before. I am thinking they must have demonstrated it in their essays too. So, I think all HBS aspirants must take care to show that they do think they learn best using the case method. Now I just had to look around to see why they loved this place. It was a PALACE. I also managed to have lunch at the kingly dining hall. Look at the pics yourself.

The bridge that leads to HBS:


Cambridge Center:


I could not take pictures of classrooms as no tour was offered and I could not figure out how to get to the class rooms. However, I did manage to take some impressive pictures of Spangler and outside bloomberg.






Also, HBS offers a pretty nice video tour that can be downloaded off of their site.

As I now reflect on HBS, I realize that it has some great people - great leaders who have achieved a lot of things. But I also am slightly nervous(and so are the students) that the competition might be cut-throat as 50% grades depend on class participation. Now that is not reason enough to keep anyone who feels he is good enough from applying. After all, it is HBS and the benefits will far outweigh any feelings of discomfort one might have! However, given my self-perceived chances of getting in at HBS, it is just a probable app on my list!

No comments: