Saturday, August 18, 2007

The more I read about it, the more sicker I get. Other IT applicants claiming that their IT background sounded the death knell of their applications! I mean, c'mon. I refuse to believe that I will not make it to a top B school because I am an IT guy. I refuse to believe I am not good enough, do not have good experiences,do not have good academic potential or do not have enough to contribute to the class. I refuse to believe that ad-com will say, "ouch, another IT" and toss my app in the bin. I refuse to believe that all my efforts are going to be wasted because of a (according to me- wise) career decision I made 6 years back!

B Schools look for people! Not for jobs! And if you can portray that you are a thinking, wise, mature, leadership-oriented and team skills oriented-person who has thought through his career goals, how he will get there, understands what an MBA can give, understands a B schools program and convey that concisely (and thereby demonstrate that you have good communication skills) - 9 out of 10 chances are that you will be IN. And then of-course, as in EVERY OTHER venture you undertake in this world, chance does play a role. I talked to a Wharton ad-com member and she said, " If you introduce yourselves as an Investment banker from NYC or an Indian IT engineer - NO we do not want you. But if you introduces yourselves as the person you are, we will get interested!" It sounds easy but it is not. And if it sounds too difficult, it is NOT either.

This rant is as much a rant to myself as it is for others! Wish you all luck!

No comments: