Friday, August 10, 2007

MIT Sloan!

The subway rides and the heat at NYC really tired me. But I could not sleep. I had to stay up to catch the 1:30 AM amtrak from Newark to Boston Bay. I chose it because I figured I could sleep on the train and reach cambridge to visit MIT and HBS refreshed. While I did get some sleep on the train, I had hoped that Boston bay would be like 30th Street Station in Philly - big. I had hoped that I can easily freshen up and change clothes and get lost in the station and nobody would notice. But Boston bay was a small station, and looked set in the past. Red brick Structure. Coal soot. et al.
Nevertheless, I changed, shaved etc. and was happy I had saved money on a room. I then took the train to MIT Sloan/Kendall station. Sloan is just a few minutes walk from Kendall station.

Sloan seemed to be the COLDEST school ever. It is nicely set in a university like setting and overlooks the Charles river. It has a good facility but the receptionist chose to ignore me for like 10 mins when he was chatting with someone over the phone. He then rudely said that school does not offer any info session or trips around. When I asked him if I could take the trip by myself and if I could leave my bag in his office, he reluctantly agreed.

I liked what I saw in Sloan, facility wise, though. I got a chance to climb up the stairs and I saw what looked like a lot of economics dept rooms there. (I wondered what genius lurked behind those old doors). I then walked over the the Tanger(??) center through a connecting bridge that gives a nice view of the Charles. I walked over and found just 2 part-time/weekend students working there. I approached one of them and was slightly disappointed. Maybe he had an exam or something, but he did not seem happy to talk to me. Even simple questions like who is your favorite prof, which subjects can help me achieve my goals in X, Y etc. were met with "I really cant tell you!". One thing he did share was that you could cross-register for classes at HBS! I am thinking that maybe he must have been stressed out over something or maybe I visited at the wrong time, but Sloan did not seem right from a fit perspective. I will definitely re-look at the school before I decide to apply there! (BTW, I think the name of the cafetaria at Stern, "Refresher Course", is pretty cool. Plus, the view of the Charles is cool too. I hope the people are too:))

Anyway, here go the pictures







No comments: