Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ross visit...

I have been intending to post on my visit to Ross for a while but never got around to doing that. After visiting Wharton for the second time, I left Philly for Ross. The flight was delayed and I reached Detroit at 2 in the morning. Now I had heard a lot of stories about how unsafe Detroit is and contemplated staying in the airport till dawn. But then I needed good sleep to be ready for Ross. So I took a cab and reached my hotel without incidence.

The visit to Ross the next day was very pleasant. Ross is a part of the univ of Michigan and Ann Arbor is the typical university town. So Ross has all the advantages of a good university. The School is good, has a great faculty and good facilities. They are also expanding the facilities.What really blew me away was their Trading Lab which has bloomberg software worth over 1.5 M $ for students use! Facility wise I think the only dampner was the Kresge Library which did not look like it had too many books. But then I heard they are going to rely on google for it to bring out digital books.

Again, as everywhere else, the day i visited was the first day of school for new MBA admits. So there was a lot of excitement going on. I talked to a few and found them to be excited about being there. Those kids were great! They loved to help and were willing to talk about their experiences. Of-course, one thing I noticed about Ross and NYU kids was that they were not AS PROUD TO BE THERE like their Wharton or HBS counterparts. I know Ross is not an HBS or Wharton. But nevertheless, it is a great school and has some great faculty like Strategy guru C.K. Prahalad on its rolls.

One thing I am worried about the the influence of the auto-market on Ross's recruitments. If the auto-majors, running into losses, decide not to recruit, then the competition for traditional jobs like Consulting and IB will be very high at Ross.Otherwise, i loved Ross and it is the first school I am going to tackle!

Again, pictures -





No comments: